Saturday, January 19, 2013

Anna Karenina: Part IV, Chapter 17



File:Bloch-SermonOnTheMount.jpg

This week our excerpt is from Anna Karenina, by Leo Tolstoy. 

Aleksey Aleksandrovich Karenin (Anna's husband) is speaking to Count Alexei Kirillovich Vronsky (Anna's lover) -- 
When I got the telegram, I came here with the same feelings; I will say more, I longed for [Anna's] death. But . . ." he paused . . . "But I saw her and forgave her. And the happiness of forgiveness has revealed to me my duty. I forgive completely. I would offer the other cheek, I would give my cloak if my coat be taken. I pray to God only not to take from me the bliss of forgiveness!" Part IV, Chapter 17
Matthew 5:38-40
King James Version 
38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.


40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.


(Bible Gateway)

For deeper insight into the entire novel, read the following:
"The Sermon on the Mount" -- Matthew, Chapters 5, 6, and 7


No comments:

Post a Comment